Sunday 10 August 2014

Artist model for panel two: Mauricio Guillen

One of the artist models I would like to introduce in panel two is Mauricio Guillen. 


Guillen has a series that documents a pink string being pulled through various places like houses and gardens. While Guillen used the pink thread as a symbol of boundaries and borders, I want to use it in my own work to act as a path through the photos. With my first panel, I wanted to depict monotony and routine, and a loss of direction in life. In panel two, the use of string or something similar could create a path, providing the direction that has been lost. It could also start to introduce colour into the photos, as my first board was mainly in earth tones, to enforce the sense of dullness. The main colour I want to use is red, not only because the string used in Guillen's work is pink/red, but also because red often symbolises life, lust, love and passion, which I want to show coming back into the world through my photos.

Another inspiration is the film The Sixth Sense. In the film, director M. Night Shyamalan used red only in scenes where the living crossed paths with the dead, and if red appeared in a scene where this didn't occur, he would remove it. As a result of this, the otherwise neutral palette of the film is interrupted by sharp bursts of red, the product being similar to what I would like to have in my third panel.





No comments:

Post a Comment